Saturday 2 August 2014

The King by J.R Ward Review by Rinny

****Disclaimer ***** - I was provided with a free paperback copy from  LITTLE, BROWN BOOK GROUP in return for an honest review.

THIS BOOK IS THE 12TH IN THE BLACK DAGGER BROTHERHOOD SERIES (ADULT PARANORMAL ROMANCE). I WILL DO MY BEST TO KEEP THIS REVIEW SPOILER FREE. The series focuses on a society (the "Black Dagger Brotherhood") of vampire warriors who live together and defend their race against de-souled humans called Lessers. 




Blurb


J.R. Ward's # 1 New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood continues as a royal bloodline is compromised by a grave threat to the throne.

Long live the King…

After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk.

Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them.

The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?

Intro

Hey everyone, I finished this book a couple of days and have had to take a few days just to collect myself before reviewing. Even now as I type looking at my notes I just can’t figure out what to write. So before I start a detailed review (hopefully spoiler free). I have to say if you close a book tears streaming down your face and see this




You know you have read a good book LOL. Sticky page tabs are my little treasure chests of my book loving obsession. So now on to the review.  

Review

You know that feeling when you slip into clean bedding? No? What about the feeling when after a long hard day you slip into a nice warm bubbly bath? No? Okay I'm sure you'll get this one ... You know when you curl up with a cup of tea, chocolate (beverage and snacks of your choice) and a new book full of possibilities? YES!! Well that is the comfy, cozy heavenly familiar feeling I get when I know I'm going to dip into the Black Dagger Brotherhood series again. When I sat down this book I was full of anticipation and a little doubt at the same time. A couple of the books in the series I've had a rough time with but yet again J.R Ward sucked me in and sucker punched me with a whole load of in your face awesomeness.

As you can see from the blurb above. We are not only returning to Caldwell and the brothers, (which if you’re like me and have been following them from the beginning adore) we are revisiting/continuing with Wrath and Beth as the main characters in this book. As normal not only do we have our main twosome, the other brothers (although not as a focus and more like guest appearances) we have our side characters and plots. In this book we continue Xcor/Layla, Assail/Sola, Trez/Selena/ his arranged mating, John Matthew/his blackouts, IAm and we also gain an insight into Wrath's parents. There is also a few how to put it bench characters that we see again in this book such as Saxton, Lassiter and new character S'Ex.

J.R Ward's writing style for me is hard to describe. To me it is beautiful, familiar and enjoyable. She is one of the wittiest author's I know. Her books never fail to have at least a bucket of chuckles and a couple of handfuls of side splitting laughter. This book was not an exception especially when it came to IAm and Boo still smiling now thinking of that pair. She is also an author that I find hard to review not because I find her books bad. She does so many good things and makes me feel so many feels I struggle not to include spoilers. I always by the time I close the cover have went through a range of emotions, have a handle of favourite scenes and many favourite quotes. This book did not disappoint me even with the high expectation I have when reading her work. One minute I was laughing the next I was crying like a little baby or wanting to punch my pillow lol. The pop culture references worked for me especially Miley Cyrus and Doctor Who i was chuckling like the Cheshire cat.


Some people might dislike a series with so many characters but I don't. I like how that we have so many new and old people to get to know things do not get boring. Although it’s a bad thing at times especially if you have one particular favourite brother mine being Rhage you don't see a lot of them or any of them sometimes which can suck. However that leaves you to attach yourselves to other new/old characters and bam your attachment to this wondrous world is cemented even more.

As much as I enjoy the multiple POV'S and branches of different stories it can be a struggle at times. I just could not bring myself to care or feel like I wanted to be in-vested in Assail and Sola the only reason their parts in the book did not make me want to punch stuff was Sola's grandmother. She was a breath of fresh air. I also hate myself but Xcor and Layla meh! Again I found myself reading faster and faster just to get by them. However Trez and Selena oh my days I did not see that coming (I am beyond glad it did/is), I am invested and Trez you little devil!! Rhage has company on his pedestal lol. Getting to know Wrath's parents and into their heads was a delight. Overall the many plots as always done beautifully even if you are not invested in each one they tie in and J.R Ward guides us through seamlessly in her own way. As always our main couple's story is played out with twists and turns, highs and lows. Our side plots and the general foundation of the series leave us with just enough questions and intrigue to have us wanting more. Even with the odd sub plot you might not be fully interested in. Some of the Beth/Wrath plot really hit close to my heart and that made it even more emotional for me. In a strange way it also gave me a sense of peace and renewed faith. Very Bizarre but there you go.

The one thing I find J.R Ward achieves higher than most is that even side or bit part characters are well rounded. I mean that you are not just getting some half fleshed character in the book. They could step out and take the mantel as a fully-fledged character. Even Saxton's god awful father did not just seem like ink on a sheet of pa-per too me. I could see him as clear as day, even if I did not like what I saw.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I have had an up and down relationship with the series of late. This book even with its mild cons for me has put it back at the top of my best series list. The only issues I had with this book are: Where are the Lessors? Where is the big fight scenes? There was not enough action in regards to the lessors and the brothers for me. There was not a real villain this time the "bad guys" felt a little washed out. Assail and Sola i just can't jump on that train and care about either. Slightly predictable at times. I would and have recommended this series over and over again till I have been blue in the face. I would continue to do so with this book. If you haven't tried this series before please PLEASE do try it and if you have but gave up it is WRATH and BETH part two what are you waiting for?

So i think I have done pretty well with not having too much spoiler content? So as a reward I am going to include my favourite (one of many) quote from this book.

"Well, too bad, boys ---- life wasn't an epi of Doctor Who. And you know what? The idea that pair ___ as well as every other male in the house ---- would always defer to Wrath made her even more pissed off. "  (Beth page 78)

My Rating :   


Useful Links

Are you a fan of the black dagger brotherhood? Have you never tried the series but think you might like too? Who's your fave brother or shellan? Anything to say comment below :) We love to hear from you.


No comments: